Subscribe to news
Stakeholder Engagement Handbook
The BiodivERsA Stakeholder Engagement Handbook is a non-academic practical guide for researchers planning and carrying out research projects. It is designed to assist research teams identify relevant stakeholders to engage with in order to enhance the impact of their work. The Handbook draws upon exiting literature and presents case studies that provide clear, simple guidance, which considers ‘why’, ‘who’, ‘when’ and ‘how’ to engage.
To ensure a balanced representation of society is effectively engaged with research activities, the Handbook considers a three step stakeholder identification process: identification of relevant stakeholders; assessing and prioritisation; and developing understanding. This process ascertains opportunities and risks of engagement and ensures barriers to engagement are recognised and overcome, thus making engagement processes more inclusive and enhancing the legitimacy and societal relevance of scientific research.
The development of this toolkit has been led by the Joint Nature Conservation Committee (JNCC), one of the UK partners in BiodivERsA and an established authority in the field of stakeholder engagement practices.
- Digest of the Stakeholder Engagement Handbook is available here.
- The Stakeholder Engagement Handbook is now available here:
- Low Resolution (2.8 Mo)
- High resolution (42 Mo)
- PART 1: INTRODUCTION
- PART 2: WHY ENGAGE WITH STAKEHOLDERS
- PART 3: HOW TO IDENTIFY STAKEHOLDERS
- PART 4: WHEN TO ENGAGE WITH STAKEHOLDERS
- PART 5: METHODS FOR ENGAGEMENT
- PART 6: PLANNING THE DETAIL OF THE ENGAGEMENT
- PART 7: MANAGING STAKEHOLDER CONFLICT
- PART 8: MONITORING AND EVALUATING THE ENGAGEMENT
- Annex 1: Practical Method Notes
10. Social Media
- Stakeholder identification and categorisation (Table 3.1, page 39 of the Handbook
- Extended interest-influence matrix (Table 3.2, page 44)
- Understanding your stakeholders (Table 3.3, page 48)
- Matrix for planning stakeholder engagement activities (Table 6.1, page 74)
- Matrix for categorising stakeholder dedication (Table 7.1, page 82)
- Stakeholder engagement evaluation (Table 8.1, page 94)
- Evaluating outcomes of stakeholder engagement activities (Table 8.2, page 96)
- Evaluating roles, rights, responsibilities and returns (Annex 2)