Subscribe to news
The loss of biodiversity and the degradation of ecosystems are major scientific and societal challenges. Addressing them and providing scientific support to policy requires a coherent research framework, with coordinated strategies and programmes at the regional and international levels, which are the relevant scales for many biodiversity issues.
By networking 31 funding agencies and ministries from 18 countries, BiodivERsA contributes to the European Research Area (ERA) on biodiversity. Building on the experience of the two first periods of BiodivERsA's activities, BiodivERsA3 established a wider network better covering European geography including overseas to promote a strategy for biodiversity research.
Through its efforts to organize joint funding of research on biodiversity and ecosystem services, to partner up with other players in the field and to better integrate the research performed with policies and management of ecological services, BiodivERsA contributes to the reinforcement of the European Research Area.
BiodivERsA's objectives are to:
- Reinforce the network and its capacity to join-up research on biodiversity and ecosystem services in Europe and in overseas regions and territories
- Develop a strategic, multi-annual vision of the network’s priorities based on ambitious mapping and foresight activities, linking existing international and European agendas with national and institutional priorities.
- Work towards the alignment of research programmes on biodiversity and ecosystem services
- Implement joint calls for research proposals and instate a recurrent, well-identified funding scheme for transnational biodiversity research projects, allowing to better integrate research on biodiversity and ecosystem services in Europe
- Promote an effective interfacing of science with society and policy during the whole research process, through the co-design and joint implementation of research programmes and research projects it funds.
The network’s activities are organized under 11 work packages (WPs):
- WP1: Reinforcing the network and the links to other relevant research network and funders (WP leader : FCT, Portugal)
- WP2: Integrating research programmes and addressing issues with and within Overseas territories / Outermost regions (WP leader : Guadeloupe Region, France)
- WP3: From mapping and foresight activities to the development of a common strategic roadmap (WP leader : NWO, The Netherlands)
- WP4 to 8: Implementation of the 2015 joint call (WP leader : ANR, France)
- WP9: Implementing other joint activities (WP leader : Formas, Sweden)
- WP10: Science-society / science-policy / science-business interactions and communication (WP leader : BelSPO, Belgium)
- WP11: Coordination and management (WP leader : FRB, France)