The loss of biodiversity and the degradation of ecosystems are major scientific and societal challenges. Addressing them and providing scientific support to policy requires a coherent research framework, with coordinated strategies and programmes at the regional and international levels, which are the relevant scales for many biodiversity issues.
By networking 21 funding agencies from 15 countries, BiodivERsA contributes to the European Research Area (ERA) on biodiversity. Building on the experience of the first period of BiodivERsA's activities, BiodivERsA2 established a wider and more balanced Network to promote a strategy for biodiversity research. It partners with other players in the field, and organizes joint-fundings to better integrate biodiversity science with policies and management of ecological systems.
BiodivERsA's objectives are to:
- Develop an efficient agenda-setting mechanism, based on a continuously developed strategy linking existing international agendas with national and institutional priorities.
- Instate a recurrent, well-identified funding scheme for transnational biodiversity research projects.
- Play an active role in the processes and interfaces to inform policy and users.
- Prepare the establishment of a sustainable funding platform for biodiversity research.
The activity is organized in 6 workpackages (WPs):
- WP1: Strengthening and expanding the network: integrating new partners and improving processes (WP Leader: FCT, Portugal)
- WP2: The European biodiversity research landscape and science-policy integration (WP Leader: Formas, Sweden)
- WP3: Joint funding activities in support of an ERA on biodiversity (WP Leader: ANR, France)
- WP4: Towards a sustainable research funding platform (WP Leader: NWO, The Netherlands)
- WP5: Communication and outreach (WP Leader BelSPO, Belgium and FRB, France)
- WP6: Coordination and Management (WP Leader: FRB, France)